Sunday, July 24, 2005

SCREENING MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION


{Does'nt the Schmuck above look like the "No Brainer B*%#r}
I would like to thank the LoneWatchman for this little informational tidbit.

I wish the Screeners of the TSA at the Gerald R. Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids, Michigan could tell me if this Job Description for Screener Manager, which by the way was taken from USAJOBS.COM, word for word, even closely resembles anything that the two chowderheads at GRR do during the course of their 8 hour day.

PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Incumbent functions as a Screening Manager responsible for individuals
at screening checkpoints. Manages screening checkpoints that are central
to Transportation Security Administration (TSA) objectives and that will
serve to protect the traveling public by preventing any deadly or dangerous
objects from being transported onto an aircraft. The incumbent works under close
supervision and review.

Maintains communication with supervisors regarding any issues that
might reveal a weakness or vulnerable area of security screening that is discovered in the course of screening duties. Participates in information briefings
concerning security-sensitive or classified information.

Tell me if I'm wrong. A vast majority of their day is spent, not on the checkpoint, where alas, they might then fist hand witness the shenanigans that the Supervisors are into on a CONSTANT basis, but NO....They, the Screening Managers, spend almost their entire shift AWAY from the checkpoint, whether its DOWNSTAIRS in their office or on their own hour and a half lunch break going to the GYM or as one former AFSD called it, "The Gun Factory".

Yes, they do make their occasional appearance on the checkpoint, but that's only for a short moment. It is the opinion of this writer and that of many of the Screeners,(I know this because we spoke about it so often when I worked there) that maybe, just maybe, then they would have a better handle on the way the Supervisors perform their duties. Maybe then, they're would be less use of Intimidation, Less waste of the Taxpayers money because of the hour and a half lunch breaks, several half hour smoke breaks, watching of football games in the Airport Bar, earning one's degree on the clock, and maybe then morale might pick up.

But, I fear that these things will never happen. At the Gerald R. Ford International Airport, Administrators, Managers, and Supervisors/Leads are all "Do as I say, not as I do" type of bosses. Not true leaders. A true LEADER would lead by example thus setting a good example for the Screeners, maybe even forging relationships with their subordinates. Not at the Gerald R. Ford.

I have spoken with Screeners from several different airports around the country, and at all but the Gerald R. Ford International, the Screener Manager is on the Checkpoint MOST OF THE SHIFT!

When I spoke to one of the Screener managers about this on one occasion, he told me, and I quote, "That it is NOT the job of the Screener Manager to Supervise the Supervisors on the Checkpoint. No wonder these lugnuts get away with the shit that they get away with. The screener managers allow the Supervisors to be UnSupervised. At least that's the way I understand it to be. I could be wrong...But I doubt it.

I must say though, it is freakin hilarious to see these Schmucks,(the Supervisors, Managers, and Administrator) all huddled up in deep top secret conversation. I swear, if you were to rub all of their heads together, you would'nt even be able to spark ANYTHING closely resembling a thought, let alone a flame.

Yes, these are the same Schmucks that decided to do random drug testing on Screeners, ON THE CHECKPOINT in the Family Bathroom. And when they decided that was not such a good idea (DUH), they took it off the grounds to the Fire Station. I was marched all the way to the other side of the airport, and when I asked the Screener Manager what was going on, she would not tell me. She simply stated, "You'll find out when we get there". Now mind you, I have been picked for random drug testing MANY, MANY times, and I have never, ever seen it done in a TOP SECRET fasion as it was done that time. What was I going to do? Run away? If that was the case, then I would have been fired for refusing a drug test. BIG DEAL! TOP FREAKIN SECRET. I still laugh thinking about these Chowderheads and their disfunctional antics.

Read the Job Description above again, and then ask yourself...Does my Screener Manager perform his/her duties as this states? Be near a bathroom, you'll laugh so hard you'll pee your freakin pants just picturing Ren and Stimpy of the Gerald R. Ford.

My Prayers and Thoughts are with you guys. Screeners Rule...Managers Drool!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Maintains communication with supervisors regarding any issues that
might reveal a weakness or vulnerable area of security screening that is discovered in the course of screening duties."

We all know they not only failed at this part, but actually do the opposite. What are you people going to do when the VolksWagen's mistakes can't be buried, and attract media attention? When every screener that has ever worked there comes forward and tells the world the leadership knew about that danger for years? Let me boil it down to a single word: LIABILITY!

Anonymous said...

Managers on the checkpoint for the whole shift? Please! At BWI some managers are on the checkpoint for the whole shift, most are not. The ones that are mostly cause upset because they observe the screeners, not the supervisors.