Sunday, March 27, 2005

MY THOUGHTS

I know many of you are thinking that I have spent much of my blogging time lately on the Terry Schiavo murder. I am about to give you an explanation of my feelings.

When I converted to Judaism over 3 yrs ago; I had to go before a "court" so to speak, of 3 Rabbis, a beit din or a rabbinical court to answer questions about why I wanted to become a Jew. One of the questions put forth to me was aimed at my immense interest in Jewish history and the Shoah (Holocaust). "If I could go back into a time in Jewish history, where would I want to go?" I stated to the rabbis that I would want to go back to just before the Nazi's took over Germany so that I could do something to avert or stop the destruction and death of over 6 million Jews.

By taking up such a strong position on this issue of death and the killing of disabled people is what I consider to be my way of trying to stop that kind of death and destruction from happening right here in my country. The country of freedom, liberty and life!

One of the phrases said by Jews after the Holocaust is "NEVER AGAIN!" That phrase has taken on a new light for me. Yes, I am fairly new to being Jewish, but I feel very close to the community that I am part of here in West Michigan, The Jewish Community; and if one man, even a man as insignificant as myself makes enough noise...Maybe, just maybe, that one big mouth will bring attention to all of the smaller voices that have not been heard.

As Jews, we have an increased moral obligation to respond; to speak out and take action. The phrase "never again" must not be reserved for Jews alone, but in fact Jews must be the guardians of this epithet, highly sensitive and responsive to all attempts by any people to annihilate another people because they are somehow perceived as different or unable to care for ones' self.

I pray for my country that it does not continue to take the path that Germany did in the 20th century. I pray that mankind has at least learned from that mistake. That is why learning history is so important to our young people.

No comments: